« View full discussion

Discussion thread: 6 comments

» Reply 10.09.2010 18:03 | Bernhard Friedreich | web |
to be more precisely:
it crashes in a CMakeLists.txt when trying to autocomplete a path


I tried to add "/data" in front of the "some_path_....h"

it is reproducible..
Although the backtrace says the problem is somewhere in KateCompletionWidget I hope this is problem in KDevelop and not in the patched kdelibs :-)

I looked again into commits in KDE 4.5.2 branch and KateCompletionWidget class hasn't been updated for nearly two months - so it looks like the problem is not even fixed, or the problem is fixed only in trunk and not backported to 4.5.2.

Sadly I couldn't reproduce that problem, no crashes here, maybe it's only a problem with dirty duchain cache (which causes a lot crashes for me), try to remove ~/.kdevduchain and see if that helps.

I look again into Kate repository if there is any commit touching KateCompletionWidget class.
» Reply 10.09.2010 19:47 | Bernhard Friedreich | web |
I tried removing .kdevduchain... didn't work..

Could it be related to the project not actually building (cmake wise)? because the autocompletion needs a working cmake project?
the project currently doesn't work because cmake doesn't find the moc files - so maybe the autocompletion dies because the project's cmake files can't be evaluated? *me makes wild guesses*
um... I don't know... it sometimes crashes if there is a syntax error, but on missing files? This doesn't cause the crash.

One last solution which could help with localizing the problem - try to install older version of kdevelop/kdevplatform (from 2010-09-04 and older) with non-patched kdelibs and check if that crashes too. If yes, "hooray", it's problem in KDevelop, if not, I'm screwed and the backport doesn't work (or I missed some more commits which should have been backported).
» Reply 11.09.2010 10:42 | Bernhard Friedreich | web |
wohoo! sorry for the noice but it works :)

the problem seems to have been nothing related to your kdelibs but instead my fucked up version of Qt in combination with an old kdevelop plugin (controlflow)

works now :)
good to backport imho

I looked into Kate GIT repository and there is SO MANY commits to KateCompletionWidget that it is impossible to locate anything that would fix it. The commits depend on each other, so in the end it would be easier to switch to unstable KDE 4.6.xx (and experience even more crashes) than trying to backport everything.

But I still hope it's a temporary problem in KDevelop/duchain cache, not in Kate.